Age: 10 Months Old
Adoption Fee: $700.00
Special Needs: unknown
ON TEMPORARY MEDICAL HOLD
My brother, Winchester, and I joined rescue today. As you can see from our pictures, we are in bad shape. We were found abandoned and then we were given to rescue so they could fix us up as good as new.
I am about 5 months old and weigh 24 pounds. I am much smaller than my brother because I have difficulty eating and keeping the food down. My skin is covered with fleas, demodex and scabs. My skin is inflamed and my feet are so swollen it is painful to walk. I have an irregular heartbeat, but that might just be from me being so sick. I will need to be in the clinic for a while. I already got a bath today, and I will be getting three a week from now on. I love to be loved on and pampered! What gal doesn’t? It’s been a long time since I was treated this nice.
I hope to get well soon so I can be adopted. I haven’t decided yet if I want to stay with my brother or branch out on my own. So stay tuned and see what we decide. In the meantime, I’m going to focus on becoming healthy again. Please keep my brother and me in your thoughts.
2/7/19 Update: Cassie has very mild pulmonic stenosis (narrowing of the heart valve), but Dr. Fields does not consider it bad enough to require treatment at present. Of greater concern is a dilation of the left side of the heart, with borderline myocardial disfunction. That side is not pumping well. Most of the time when she sees this condition, it is in older dogs. Younger dogs, like Merlin, normally have right side issues. In her experience, the most likely cause is not a congenital defect, like with Merlin, but a disease transmitted by an insect (lepto, Lyme, Chagas, etc.). So she will start a round of doxycycline and have some comprehensive blood tests to detect any such diseases. Once the blood tests are back, she and Dr. Larsen will formulate a plan for how to proceed.
4/12/19 Update: She has gained 7 lbs since she her last vet visit and is now 34 lbs. The doc thought she looked great and had come a long way. The staff all loved and doted on her and she loved the attention. She is definitely about to start her heat cycle. The doc loaded us up with tons of diapers to get through the next few weeks. The doc said she will start any day now since she is showing all the signs that I had also noticed.
Even though she has made so much progress and come such a long way, her heart has not improved. She just completed 30 days of doxy, which did help her improve in some other areas, but not her heart condition. Her blood and urine test only showed positive for one organism so that was why we did the doxy for 30 days … but that organism is not the cause of her heart condition. So her heart appears to be a congenital defect. She is rated to have a stage 3/4 heart murmur defect and the defect is on both sides of her heart as opposed to being on one side. She is scheduled to go back to the cardiologist in August.