This girl came into our program at about 10 p.m. Friday night. The surrendering owners, who had purchased “Bella” about two months earlier, were concerned she could be pregnant. There was fear she could be in labor, but the babies were stuck. Once the owners decided they would surrender the dog, we met them at a nearby emergency vet. We knew time was of the essence, and we were fearful the girl could soon die. Every moment was critical. The emergency staff went to work immediately. The diagnosis was an open pyometra (infected uterus). There also could be puppies that are being reabsorbed, but they wouldn’t know for sure until they open her. She also would need lots of fluids to counteract her dehydration. An emergency spay was necessary to save the dog’s life, but as the staff prepared, they also learned “Bella” was heartworm positive. That makes the anesthesia even more risky.
She basically went into septic shock, so they had to hold on surgery. They’re starting her on plasma now. Blood pressure is just now coming back up. They’re working to get her into surgery ASAP. The anesthesia is going to be incredibly risky, but it has to be done to save her. Good thoughts, strong prayers, many candles…. we need all we can get right now. She deserves to live!
The surgery was too late for this sweet girl! Sh passed during the emergency surgery and we are just heartbroken!