Our hearts go out to Frannie’s family… she now lives on in our hearts.

Her family writes: This is probably one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to tell such a vast group of people. It doesn’t seem right to email this, so I apologize. I’m sorry that it’s taken so much time to find the words I’m about to say, but it’s been physically and emotionally difficult to do. I regret that I can’t tell each of you in person with a hug … but our beloved Frannie is among angels now in Heaven.

Her departure from this Earth came fast and unexpectedly, so emotionally, we are devastated, trying to come to terms with her loss. We’ve all been there unfortunately. You can’t help but to love dogs like Frannie, but it’s not without risk. If you live and love with them, you suffer with them and part of you dies with them … then you miss them seeing them in places later that your heart embraces.

Frannie broke our hearts when she died, but we don’t regret loving her. We would rather have loved her then to regret never loving her at all. She made life better, she made us better people and she filled our hearts with a love we never knew.

Little Frannie – the Brave-heart came into rescue back in April of this year, very ill with a large mammary tumor, the equivalent of a 7 pound bowling ball that was dragging the ground. No one knows how long she walked around dragging this massive tumor, but we all know, even one day is too long. She suffered and she didn’t deserve it. Her little body showed signs of a rough and unkind street life that likely included breeding, dog fighting and genuine lack of human love. Ironically, you couldn’t have known a more loving, peaceful and gentle dog.

She was on the verge of death from that massive tumor when she was found as a stray earlier this year. Many good people stepped up to help this little girl who otherwise would’ve died on the street not knowing love. The good people at the local Texas shelter who found her, called our rescue who came and got her right away. Dr. Larsen and her team at Bright Star Veterinary Clinic did emergency surgery to remove the large tumor and give her a chance at survival and the opportunity to know love before God called her home.

She was at Dr. Larsen’s clinic for several months going through various other surgeries for her tumors, eyes, teeth and spay and started treatment for her thyroid and heartworm disease, but her tenacious spirit prevailed. She began to heal because she finally knew love. She grew strong surrounded by the compassionate staff at Bright Star Veterinary clinic and the volunteers at rescue. She was a regular door greeter at Dr. Larsen’s clinic but during her time in rescue, she became more than that. Frannie became part of all of our hearts. She became an inspiration to us all. Her courage to go on, her capacity to love no matter what and her peaceful enduring spirit captured our hearts. She loved to be with you and followed you wherever you went. You could see her soul in her eyes, but she talked with her paws and she made the funniest vocalizations ever … she was so unique! Frannie was a funny little girl who loved to eat and her beauty prevailed despite her scars.

During her recovery into the early summer, she was put on hospice because the mammary tumors or “cancer” had returned. And so started the Frannie bucket list adventures and our love affair that lead to our adoption of this little girl. We took her everywhere possible and did as much as we could in the short time we had and made many beautiful memories. We all did. Many of our volunteers also took Frannie special places, fed her amazing food and bought and made her beautiful things. It was the best summer ever! Things were going so well, we even thought perhaps there was no cancer, because medical exams were so reassuring…we were so happy and full of hope.

Then suddenly that all changed September 21st and our worst fears came true. Frannie developed trouble breathing and we rushed her into the ER where we received the worst news. Cancer – it was in the lungs and time was quickly slipping away. There was nothing we could do from a medical standpoint except keep her comfortable with medicine and pray for a miracle. We continued to love her through the tears, fear and heartache of what was to come. We fed her bacon, eggs and donuts every morning, steak, chicken and mashed potatoes at night, whatever she wanted around the clock. We took a few final journeys to say goodbye to our rescue family of volunteers both in town and out of town back to Dr. Larsen’s in Sulphur Springs. We brought flowers and pumpkins to folks, took lots of pictures and gave and received lots of love.

Our last stop was in the pumpkin patch we made on the front porch of our home. Little Frannie died in our arms surrounded by family and pumpkins on a beautiful early Fall morning.. Deep in my heart I know she wanted to stay with us because of the love she felt but I know God told her don’t be afraid my brave-heart…you have fought your ailments with courage and loved with a beautiful heart … come to my home little girl where you will never suffer anymore, love will continue to abound and an eternal peaceful life awaits you. And so our little Frannie left for Heaven…and how poignant this little girl who battled breast cancer died in October during breast cancer awareness month. She’s a hero for many animals and humans alike.

Frannie was held, prayed over and her little body anointed with holy oil and perfume before she was taken away in a little wagon onto her eternal journey. She was and will be honored in death because she was so loved. Our Frannie will have a special life size memorial of her made in bronze that will hold her ashes one day and when that is completed you will all know.

Thank you, Frannie, for teaching us unconditional love, for letting us be your family. You have shown us the capacity of love and it’s truest meaning. You had every reason to hate humankind but you loved with a beautiful tender and forgiving heart and we love you with all our hearts. We were so blessed to be yours on Earth for just a little while. Thank you God for sending her to us to love. Thank you to everyone who was part of her rescue, rehabilitation and recovery. Thank you to everyone that loved and prayed for her all over the world. Thank you to everyone who was part of her adventures and giving her joy and showing her true love. Our hearts hurt, that we won’t have more adventures on Earth to make … no kissing booth at Bull-O-Ween, no Turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas stocking at Christmas but we know Fran Fran is having incredible adventures in Heaven and we look forward to going on them with her again someday! Godspeed little girl, I’ll be seeing you. We all will.

In sympathy,
Nancy and Scott

It’s time for a triple A…. an AWESOME ADOPTION ALERT!

Frannie’s foster parents are now her furever parents! Here’s their latest family photo, featuring alumni Polly and Sydney, big brother Great Dane Otis and beautiful Frannie.

Frannie’s mom writes: She was my most beautiful birthday gift We loved her the moment we saw her and once she was with us, there was no letting go. She was finally home and happy. We all were happy. A long holiday Frannie adventure week turned into forever. Frank Sinatra and all… they call that true love and we are forever blessed!

In rescue you never know what you will see or get! Frannie certainly bears that out. She was a stray pickup with a 6 pound growth hanging from her belly. It had ulcerated and ruptured because it was dragging the ground as she walked. 

The shelter notified us and we got there as soon as possible and rushed her to the vet. During the transport a 2x3x1 inch mass of flesh fell off in the Jeep! Yet through all this, Frannie did not utter a sound. Her ears have been cropped and both are infected. She was covered in fleas, and her eyes were a mess and will need entropion surgery. She is also heart worm positive. She is approximately 6 years old.

Upon arriving at the clinic she was stabilized and allowed to rest for a while and was given IV fluids. She was X-rayed to see if the tumor had spread into her body and it had not!  I was able to sit with her and have her head in my lap for an hour before surgery. The operation to remove it lasted almost two hours, but it was completely removed and did not invade the body wall. Inside the large tumor were two smaller tumors that were also removed. She was left with a 10 inch incision and two drain tubes which will stay in for several days.

Parts of the tumor were sent off for pathology. When she recovers, she will still need a spay, dental and eye surgery.

She is doing well today and they have already started laser treatments to aid in the healing. Her bloodwork shows she is anemic and hypothyroid, and has a high white cell count. She is also full of hookworms! We thank everyone who has prayed and donated on her behalf. Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming.

4/27/19 Update:  Foster girl Frannie is looking good and seems to be feeling better! Her bloodwork still shows her to be very anemic. She’s also heartworm positive, full of hookworms, hypothyroid and has a high white cell count. She’s getting fluids and is being hand fed canned food.  She seems to have a hard time chewing dry food, but that will be addressed later. She is having hydrotherapy and laser therapy daily to keep her incision clean, as well as encourage faster and healthier healing.

We are just taking everything one day at a time… one paw in front of the other. Thank you for your well-wishes for her and your support. We couldn’t do it without you!

5/1/19 Update:  The pathology report came back on Frannie. She has a moderate grade B-cell Lymphoid Neoplasm. Dr. Larsen was able to remove the entire affected lymph gland. Once she recovers a little more, she will need to be spayed. At that time Dr. Larsen will do further exploration to see if the cancer has spread. So please keep the prayers coming on her behalf as she heals and recovers. We will continue to monitor and update her condition. 

5/20/19 Update:   Frannie continues to improve and get stronger every day. Last week, she had her spay, had a small breast tumor removed and had some repair work done on the 10” incision from her tumor removal. Everything is looking great, and so is she. She is still the sweetest girl around.

5/29/19 Update:  About two weeks ago, Frannie was spayed and had another breast tumor removed. This week, the doc found three more tumors that were not there previously. One is about an inch wide and with its location, most likely draining into the lymph gland. Considering the aggressive nature of these tumors, we have painfully opted to move Frannie to hospice care. It would not be prudent to constantly put her under the knife each time a tumor appears.

Today, Frannie is happy, sweet and comfortable. We’ll give her all the love and spoiling she can handle until it’s time for her to gain her wings.

6/17/19 Update:   Time is precious, and no one knows that more than sweet Frannie. She suffered through so much before joining rescue, then endured the hardships of surgery and healing, only to find out that the sand sifting through her hourglass is nearly at its end. What do you do when you get that kind of news??? In the words of Tim McGraw, “she went sky diving, she went rocky mountain climbing” or the bulldog equivalent (lol)!

Frannie’s Bucket List is growing by the day and she hopes that you will help her come up with some great adventure ideas, and if possible volunteer to help her make them a reality That’s what she did on Sunday. She worshiped the beauty of life from the shores of Lake Lewisville. Her 1st lake day was spent exploring the shoreline, investigating ducks, and feeling like a movie star as the rescue paparazzi followed her around snapping photos from every angle. Now THIS is living!

After she worked up an appetite it was off to Whataburger to experience a true Texas staple food (before Chicago gets their hands on it). Frannie found the perfect spot to ‘woof’ down her Jr. Whataburger w/cheese and enjoy the sun on her face and the wind in her fur. It was the perfect day and she felt surrounded by LOVE. Till our next adventure Frannie girl!……..Love The Westbrooks (members of the Frannie Fan Club)

6/25/19 Update:  Frannie has had a whirlwind week as friends have picked her up and escorted her around town to see the sights and enjoy a variety of tasty delights.  She has been escorted in style in Jeeps and convertibles. She has been to the lake, to Duncan Donuts, Starbucks, Katy Trail Ice House, Hollywood Feed and other places around town. She is popular everywhere she goes and is even recognized as a star!

6/29/19 Update:  The Frannie adventures continue and we are checking things off that bucket list left and right. We are having a marvelous time with our precious Fran Fran, our beautiful Frangipani! We have Frannie all weekend in Frisco, Texas, to celebrate my birthday and what a lovely gift she is to us!

We picked up Frannie last night and headed to the Paw Depot in Frisco on Main Street for some toy and bone shopping! She picked out a purple squid toy and a knuckle bone to go. She gnawed on the bone a bit and down the road we went. Next, it was off to the Hollywood Feed in Frisco for more shopping. This time sweet Frannie decided the peanut butter cow ear looked super tasty! So she put that in the shopping cart and away we went. We visited with all kinds of thoughtful staff and customers at these two stores who showed Frannie lots of love and made our shopping experience extra special.

Next, it was a quick trip home to drop off luggage and bags and freshen up… then it was off to The Star in Frisco, the Cowboys’ World Headquarters, for a little dinner and football! We went to Cane Rosso for a scrumptious Italian meal of pizza and meatballs on the patio. Gaby, our waitress, waited on Frannie hand and foot! She brought her fresh ice water, fed her a meatball and even cleaned her eyes! If that’s not service, I don’t know what is… it sure was compassionate! Thank you, Gaby, for making our meal so special!

Next, it was off to the playing field where Frannie scored a touchdown! The crowds went wild and cheered her on… our Frannie is such a star! Frannie came home, after signing autographs, hit the showers and fell asleep in a luxurious bed to rest up for the next adventure. Stay tuned!