The day I thought would never come finally arrived and I found my forever home.

Foster Mom and Dad took me to see a nice couple last week and on the way home, I told them I thought this family was the one.

I have a fur brother, Sarge, a fur brother cat, Mr. Kitty, and a backyard to run in and play. My new forever mom and dad are already spoiling me with a new harness and I got to sleep outside of the crate with my new brother Sarge. We had a good time. He told me all about the rules of the house and introduced me around. I’m going to like it here.

I know Foster Mom and Dad will miss me and I will miss them, but this is my forever home… a dream come true.

I really appreciate all Lone Star Bulldog Club Rescue, Dr. Larsen and her staff, Foster Mom and Dad and, most importantly, all the fans who donated toward my medical bills to help me overcome all the obstacles. I couldn’t have made it without all of you. Just remember: there are a lot of other dogs out there just like me who need your help.

Whew, it’s so hot out there… I’ve actually lived outside my whole life, but no more!

Yesterday, my dad contacted rescue and the volunteers dropped everything to come right to my house to retrieve me. My parents realized they couldn’t give me the care I needed and it was not good for me to be outside anymore. When I got picked up, I was able to ride in the front seat with the A/C blowing my fur. It felt so nice.

I am 4 years old and weigh 49 pounds. I am active, yet well-behaved. I need a little dental work and they said something about being neutered.

But I’m in no hurry to get anything done or to go anywhere…. I am just going to lay here and chill in the air-conditioned vet clinic! Thanks to whoever invented air conditioning and thanks to rescue for being there for me.

7/3/20 Update:  Hemi looks and acts great, but there are some problems under the surface. His tests came back and his blood work is all over the place. Most values are out of the normal range. Part of this is due to the heat and dehydration, but there are other, more severe issues that need to be addressed.

Hemi has pancreatitis and is anemic. He is also positive for heartworms and Dr. Larsen thinks it is an advanced case. He also has some blood and bacteria in his urine. But his most pressing problem is that he is in kidney failure. Dr. Larsen is not sure whether this is a permanent condition or not.They will start today on a KD diet, Doxycycline for the heartworms, IV fluids to help flush his kidneys and some specialized kidney meds.

This is just another sad reminder of why Bulldogs are not outside dogs and that all dogs should be on heart worm preventative.

7/21/20 Update:   Foster boy Hemi is feeling better and was able to get some more exercise in the yard yesterday. Thank you for sending your well-wishes!

7/29/20 Update:  This week’s lab tests are MUCH improved! He is no longer classified as being in kidney failure.

Officially, his condition has been upgraded to kidney insufficiency. He is not out of the woods yet, but this is so much better for him and gives us hope of a complete recovery.
He is still on a special kidney diet. They will continue to give him subcutaneous fluids, but instead of daily, they will decrease to three times a week. This helps flush the toxins out of his system quicker.
He is doing so much better that he is scheduled for his neuter next week. We will focus on his heartworm treatment in a few weeks.

9/2/20 Update:  You haven’t heard a lot from me because I have been at Dr. Larsen’s, where she and her staff have been getting me healthy.

When I came into rescue, I was in kidney failure and had heartworms. I felt yucky, but I was still a happy boy.
The other day, this nice man came and said I was moving into foster care. I soon would be living in a house, with food and water and a soft bed, and I would have other fur buddies to play with.
We hopped in his car and off we went. I kept kissing his ear while he was driving, making him laugh. I love to be around people and get attention. You see, I lived outside for the first four years of my life, so I didn’t get a lot of attention. Now, I love attention.
I’m learning some new words, like “NO,” “Down,” “Potty time,” and “Go House.” I hear “NO” a lot because I am always exploring and, because I was not inside, I don’t know that I’m supposed to go outside to do my business. I’m learning, slowly, but surely.
I have met all the other fur buddies here in my foster home and two of them are Bulldogs, just like me. How cool is that? We understand each other.
I am on a special diet right now because of my kidneys and I take fluids twice a week as well. The good news is I am getting better and Doc said I am an amazing boy to survive what I’ve been through.
Well, that’s about it for me. I just wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know I’m in a foster home now. I’m going to keep everybody updated on everything I do and how much I learn. I’m so excited!

9/6/20 Update:  I am so embarrassed. Foster Mom and Dad put a diaper on me. I’m 4 years old and don’t need a diaper. I heard them saying something about marking and, BOOM. Next thing you know, I’m in a diaper. On the upside, they take it off when I go outside, so nobody sees me in it. I’m starting to hear “good boy” more now when I do my business outside.

I love attention and to be petted and snuggle. I get along with all the other dogs and am learning to enjoy this indoor life.
Well, I need to sign off. It’s my nap time.

9/15/20 Update:  I have a bit of bad news to share. I will be off the market temporarily.

Early yesterday morning, I gave my foster mom and dad a big scare. I had a medical issue and had to go to the ER.
Foster Dad then took me to Dr. Larsen’s office, where these two cute ladies took a couple of vials of blood (OUCH), but I was brave and didn’t make a sound. I didn’t want to look like a wimp. They were all very proud of me.
Anyway, my blood work will show us how my kidneys are doing. They did some X-rays and found out I now have pneumonia as well.
So, along with my kidney issues, heartworm and gastro problems, I have pneumonia. Doc gave me medicines to take and my foster mom and dad are working to make me a healthy boy again. This is why it is so important to take heartworm pills each month and drink lots of water.
Foster Dad tells me I am HEMI STRONG and to NEVER GIVE UP. I don’t feel real good, but I won’t give up.
Gotta go… it’s nap time.

10/2/20 Update:  It’s been about a week since I last reported and if you remember, I was not doing very well. I’m happy to report that I am feeling somewhat better, but Doc Larsen says I am still a sick boy. Something about heartworms… YUCK to whatever they are! My blood work came back and my kidneys are working well now, although Foster Mom and Dad are still taking precautions and giving me IV fluids twice a week. My pneumonia has improved, but I still have some raspy breathing and I cough really bad sometimes. Doc says this could be a result of the heartworm. Tose pesky heartworms again! I am on medication for that as well.

With the cooler weather, I am able to be outside more and I love helping Foster Dad when he is working outside or in the garage. I supervise while he works and then I run when he tries to get me to go inside. That’s because I’m still wearing this silly diaper.
I’ll be reporting in again next week, but until then I am going to go take a nap. I like naps.

11/20/20 Update:  I know it’s been a loooonnnnggg time since I have been able to post an update and there’s a good reason. I’ve been under house arrest in isolation.

I was able to bribe the guard into getting this message out by giving kisses and being cute.
The warden only lets me out of my cell a few times a day to do my business and walk a little bit and then right back to the can. I heard he and foster mom talking about heartworms. A couple of weeks ago, I went back to Dr. Larsen’s and got a shot in my back to work on those nasty worms. I’m told I still have about six weeks until I will be considered for parole, so if anybody wants to bake me a cake with a file in it, I would be grateful. I think we can slip it past the warden.
In the meantime, I will sit here in my cell and make sure everyone knows I AM NOT A HAPPY BOY!
12/16/20 Update:  Foster boy Hemi is currently recently lifesaving care at the emergency vet.
From his foster pops: This morning, Hemi was having respiratory distress and after talking with Dr. Larsen, he was swiftly taken to the emergency clinic.
As many of you may know, he has been battling heartworms and kidney failure. His kidneys are in good shape now, but the heartworms are taking a toll on him. He has embolisms and fluid in his lungs due to the dying worms.
Right now, he is in an oxygen chamber with medicine to keep him sedated, as well as treat him. This poor little guy has been through hell… he even lived outside before he was surrendered to rescue. But he’s never given up. His tail always wags when he gets love and attention.
The vet staff will try to wean him off oxygen in a couple days. They are keeping him on an IV and increasing prednisone. This treatment to get him better is going to be expensive, but we have hope our friends can help him get through this. Hemi needs everyone’s prayers to keep fighting.
12/17/20 Update:  Foster boy Hemi is home from the emergency vet! YAY! Thank you so much for all your good thoughts and healing vibes. From his foster pops: Next steps? 4-6 weeks of crate rest. We’ll follow up with Dr. Larsen in 7-10 days. He’s still a little raspy and calm. I’m to give him meds every 8 hours to keep him calm.
1/5/21 Update:  I was able to get a furlough today for a little while so I could run some errands with foster dad. Let me tell you~ it was great to get out and get some fresh air and sunshine. Looking at the world through bars is getting old. Foster Mom and Dad said I only have about four more weeks of my jail sentence left and then I get paroled.
I get along with the other dogs here and I love everybody. I just like being around people and don’t like being alone. I don’t know if I am house trained, as I have been in jail for several months, but I’m sure my foster parents will work with me on that if I’m not. Anyway, not much else going on for now, but I will check in again later.
1/25/21 Update:  Foster boy Hemi’s heartworm treatment still requires two more weeks of rest before he’s fully paroled. Poor kid is booooooored.

2/11/21 Update:nnHey everybody.  This is Hemi reporting in.Since FD and FM let me out of my crate I have discovered a whole new world.  I’ve had two days of running around and exploring.  I found this roundy thing and was chasing it around outside and decided I liked it, so I took it to my crate and it’s mine now.

I’ve also gotten to run around in the house, except I have to wear this thing around my waste, something about marking…not sure what that means.  I just want the other dogs here to know I’m here.  Anyway, I got to explore the house and wore myself out so I had to take a nap with my foster brother and LSBCR Alumnus Levi.  He told me everything was going to be alright and to just chill out. So I did. Then I got to go into FD’s office and lay with my other foster sisters and take another nap.  I like naps but there is so much to see and explore I don’t lay down for very long.

FM and FD are working with me on manners, i.e. personal space, barking and going outside to do my business.  I don’t like being in my crate when everyone else s out and I make sure they know I am not happy.  I got really excited earlier and nipped at FM’s leg.  Boy, did I get scolded for that…she was not happy at all.  I was just playing and didn’t mean to upset her but we are all good now.

Well, I would love to stay and chat some more but I think I need another nap and then I will start looking at applications and see if my furrever family is in there.  WHAT??? You haven’t gotten your application in yet?  What are you waiting for?

3/2/21 Update:  Good Morning Everyone, Foster dad took me outside in this wet stuff to do my business and I didn’t like it at all.  I immediately headed back to the door and was ready to go inside.


I’ve heard FM and FD say the word stubborn several times, and, I’m not sure what that means but I think it means I like to do my own thing.  Although, I am learning to go outside, sometimes, and do my business and have learned some manners…even though that seems to be a work in progress.  I’m just happy to be out of that crate.  My favorite thing to do is go to work with FD and lay on the soft bed in his office while he works.


I have another doctor’s appointment later this month to get the final ok on my health so I can’t wait for that…I’m excited that I may find my forever home soon.


Here’s what I am looking for:

I enjoy walking on the leash, just not for long distances yet.

I like people, although a forever home with small humans might not be a good fit since I can be a bit rambunctious.  (That’s a big word for me)

I get along with other dogs, not sure about cats since I’ve never seen one.

I will need to go to an experienced bulldog family who has patience and understanding to work with me and make sure I get my medicine with every meal.  I will need to be on these meds the rest of my life so my forever family must be dedicated to making sure I have them.

I love attention and scratches and snacks.


I’ve come a long way since joining rescue and am now a happy, energetic boy who gets to live indoors.


If you haven’t gotten your adoption application in you need to get busy.  Who knows, we may be a match and I could be you boy.